Skytear can be extremely efficient to store, and this page is here to help you find the right storage solution for you.
Feel free to send your approach to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will happily feature it here.
Let’s start with the basics:
- All cards are 63x88mm (same as Magic: the Gathering, and many other games)
- Hero miniatures are 38mm tall
- The big outsider miniature is 90mm tall. It will be the harder thing to store and carry around!
- Rounded tokens have a diameter of 25mm
- For Power Cards, you should use opaque sleeves if you plan to use Into Ashes expansion. That is because cards in that expansion have a different radius for rounded corners, as we had to use a different factory during the first Covid-19 outbreak.
- For Hero Cards, you can use transparent sleeves if you want to have the simplified version always visible on the back (most people do not though).
- Here you can see the CARDS COUNT broken down for each product
All expansions fit inside the Starter Box
All the miniatures and cards from all the expansions can fit into the original Starter Box.
The starter box dimensions are 250 x 295 x 85 mm. Those are roughly 10 x 12 x 3.5 inches.
If you “butcher” the plastic inserts from the expansions, you can fit them inside the starter box. This above is an example from Smerle. This approach will probably not fit also the Winterdeep and Stormsear expansions though.
A binder or multiple deckboxes will make it easier to deckbuild and prepare for your game.
If you are playing with competitive deckbuilding rules you will need to re-build each hero deck after each game (since you shuffle the small hero decks together as you draft them, to form your final deck).
To quickly and easily re-build the small hero decks, you can mark the sleeves with stickers like these or simply use a permanent marker.
A 3D printed insert by Sander
Tchielo from Brazil made multiple boxes with magnetized bases to tidily fit everything. See below for more images
Using Feldherr foam trays
Chris D. from the US shared his own storage solution using Feldherr products. I wil put below his words directly:
- 2x HS050BF01BO 50 mm foam tray – 18 compartments (I use these to hold 6x heroes from 2 factions, and about 10 minions each in the middle sections from those factions)
- 1x HS050BF05BO 50 mm half-size Figure Foam Tray (extra space for additional heroes. These should hold all size heroes that have been made to date)
- 1x HS070RS half-size Raster Foam Tray 70 mm self-adhesive(This is a “pick and pluck” tray that you can customize by pulling little square pieces out to get the size you want. I chose this size because it will fit the oversized original Outsider. I am using this tray for all outsiders, and it gives you additional space for new models that may be oversize and not fit in the other trays)
- 1x HS035I004BO 35 mm Half-Size foam tray with 9 compartments (This is for tokens, with additional space for add-ons like towers, poker chip life counters, etc.)
These trays all fit nice and snugly into the box, and I also put the game board, instruction manual, and solo game instructions on top within the box. So this storage solution carries everything ever made for Skytear that you need to play with the exception of the Ashen Pass rubber mat and the cards. Obviously a big thing that it doesn’t hold the cards, but this box will hold all of your models, as well as additional space for future expansions or for OP kit translucent models.
Secondly, I have attached photos of my “deck box” storage solution, also from Feldherr.
- Feldherr Magnetic Box green with 40 mm pick and pluck foam (https://www.feldherr.net/feldherr-magnetic-box-green-with-40-mm-pick-and-pluck-foam-for-custom-projects/a-57448)
As seen in the photo, this box holds a fully sleeved 48 card deck, plus the 6 heroes and 1 outsider card. It holds your 6 heroes, 1 outsider (with the exception of the larger original outsider), about 10 minions, and the tokens and life counters that you need for your game.
This box is perfect to keep your deck and heroes together nicely in between games or to carry to your store or friend’s house to play. Bring this deckbox along with your big Skytear box above and you’ll have everything you need to play, all organized for easy setup and breakdown of a game.
I am guessing that the upcoming rules changes may change the size of the deck (note from editor: indeed, they went up from 8 to 10 per hero, note from editor), and I don’t believe this deckbox will support a 60 card deck, but I also believe that this magnetic deckbox is available in larger thicknesses which I will look into if I need more space for a bigger deck.
Some other examples
This is a plano 3600 storage box. Most of the hero minis can’t move when the top is shut because they are slightly angled in.
IamSerabith solution with small parts storage box available from most hardware stores with upholstery foam cut to size.
For tokens, you can use capsules with an Inside Diameter of 30.6mm x Depth 2.03mm, Outside Diameter of 36.5mm x Depth 5.1mm. The tokens will NOT come out in one piece. BUT the outside diameter allows them to sit in the hexes for the most part. Some larger diameters are hard to actually play with as they overhand the hex too much